The Last Of Us Doesn’t Give A Damn About Gender Specifics

The Last Of Us Doesn’t Give A Damn About Gender Specifics

I’m surprised I’ve seen little to no chatter regarding gender roles and sexuality within The Last Of Us. For the sake of SPOILERS please don’t read ahead, however those of you have played the game please feel free to voice your opinions and have an argument in the comments section below, as I’m sure we all have something to say regarding Naughty Dog’s latest block-buster.

Click here to read on - SPOILERS INSIDE

Ryan Syrett

Smelly beard man who has no right talking to anyone about computer games.

Facebook Comments

comments

6 Comments

1. Jaf5150
    July 9, 2013, 1:36 pm

You got it all wrong, the reason for strong women is if you can survive 20 years of this your a bad ass whether you are a man , women ,a fagg or in Ellie’s case a child

• Jennifer Taylor
      July 9, 2013, 1:55 pm

• RyanSyrett
      July 9, 2013, 2:45 pm

Hey Jaf,

Cheers for taking the time to read my piece, not sure if you read or digested correctly but thanks for taking the time to comment.

All I can really say is that I 100% agree with you, in my last section I reinforce the idea that if you take away today’s social handicaps then we would all effectively go back to zero and learn to fight to survive. At this point overt feminism, misogyny, racism and anger towards someones sexual orientation all become irrelevant. Its something the game portrays incredibly well but in the same breath the way LOU portrays this is by empowering gender roles which lean against the ‘norm’.

I feel like a nob for quoting myself but – “Naughty Dog needed to prove a point and I believe that point was that it just doesn’t matter”

2. The Sto0nes
    July 11, 2013, 5:53 am

”It still begs the question though: if everyone is a bad-ass due to the conditions everyone now lives in, why are the groups you come across all headed up by women?” Play the game again, you missed a bit.

• RyanSyrett
      July 11, 2013, 7:49 am

Its more all the well doing groups of people you meet are headed up by women

• Jennifer Taylor
      July 11, 2013, 11:37 am

Oh apologies… “why are the groups you come across (that aren’t savage hunter types that try to rape/eat people, or dick people over) all headed up by women?”

Comments are now closed on this post.