Happy 15th Birthday Resident Evil 2

Happy 15th Birthday Resident Evil 2

Capcom are known for a variety of different games, but none probably stand out quite so well as the Resident Evil series. The original took the idea of zombies and with it added a different and clever backstory; set in a mansion, it would be the perfect surrounding for this new breed of survival horror. After having loved the first game, when Capcom announced that a sequel would be set in the city with two new characters, and different scenarios for both, being a bit excited would have been a massive understatement.

resi 2 2The moment you enter Racoon City and escape the flaming car wreck, to when you first saw a licker crawl across a window… from that ‘what the f*ck was that?’ moment right up until the final fight with the constantly mutating William Birkin, it had me hooked. Hell, even when you’re getting chased by the Tyrant throughout the 2nd scenario – Resident Evil 2 far surpassed the greatness of its predecessor. Of course it is a very sentimental game to me. Playing it as a kid – who was probably far too young to be faced with such violent moments – I remember the chilling and harrowing music as you enter the Police Station for the first time. Avoiding the urge to pick up any items, especially the trusty shotgun, on my way to the RPD just to see a zombie Brad Vickers – the STARS helicopter pilot whose demise would later be revealed in the 3rd entry to the series – as a secret entry.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, still being set in Racoon City breathed new life into it by introducing a new enemy – essentially a disgusting and more powerful version of the Tyrant – was still a good game that although gave you more show of the city only allowed you one character in return. Resident Evil 2 is to be considered the best in the ‘Racoon City Trilogy’. I would have to say, as controversial as it may sound, that Code: Veronica was in fact my favourite Resident Evil. Despite this it does not change the fact that Resident Evil 2 shall be remembered as one of the horror greats in the history of video gaming. In fact scratch that – one of the horror classics!

Sam Spencer

I am a Sony man at my core. Apparently I could beat my brother at Super Mario 3 when I was only 4 years old! One day I will finally dress up as Cole MacGrath for Halloween – I've got the sling-bag; just need the cajones to shave my hair off…

Facebook Comments

comments

13 Comments

1. Craig
    January 29, 2013, 1:25 pm

Crackin review,. Memory lane!! I still go back and play my old survival horrors now, timeless. The resi series (back then) set a bench mark in atmosphere. Its sad that game devs nowadays gav forgotten about the survival aspect of games, its all regenerating health and roided up marines…sigh

2. James
    January 29, 2013, 9:10 pm

RE2 is still the best RE game of the PSOne bunch. Its replay value alone was worth it. You had to finish the game twice with each character and after that you got the mini story with Hunk. This game was way ahead of its time. Some games this era cannot even match the storytelling of RE2. I remember receiving this game as a gift for my 15th birthday. It now turns 15 and I’m turning 30, man how time flies. I might pop this in my PS3 tonight just to give it a whirl (and yes I still own my original non dual shock copy).

3. Zach
    January 29, 2013, 9:13 pm

I agree. Like the new resident evil 6 is good but they’ve lost sight of what made them so iconic. Leon’s part is the most to the original, slow moving, few puzzles, mostly zombies, it felt like old times. On the other hand Chris part feels like I’m playing call of duty. And I think they need to bring some other characters back beside Chris and Leon. I think Jill is a long time missing. Or even Clair.

4. Sebastard
    January 29, 2013, 10:15 pm

Fuck you! RE2 is the best ever!

• Jennifer Taylor
      January 29, 2013, 10:34 pm

*fist pump*

• Ryan Syrett
      January 29, 2013, 11:02 pm

YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!

5. Victor Carvalho
    January 30, 2013, 1:22 am

This was one of the first games I bought in my entire life.
    On my birthday in 5 or 6 years old I bought the disc. Ja knew him a few times where we rented.
    He had great courage to play but, over the years the passion has grown and this game marked my life. This same CD stayed with me for over 10 years, and not forgotten with time … Today, a little older, have access to the game translated into my language. I still play with more pleasure.

6. Markus
    January 30, 2013, 2:40 am

RE2 is still one of the best RE´s ever.RE 6 is good, better of course as the last RE´s since the 4th, but not so good as the old games. The old games rock the shit out of erverybody. There is nothing better than low on Ammo in the middle of an Zombie overrun City, fighting your way through puzzles which you have to think twice on. I mean look at the puzzles now: Everythings glowing like an assfucked ruby, you dont need to combinate or something. Just grab it and put it into a wall and tada it´s open, shows you a way to a room, full of mutated bastards… really, who wants that? Just give me ONE BOW, which is hunted me all the game long, luring around every corner, scaring the shit out of me like William Birkin or Nemesis. Noone wants to fight against Nemesis, looking in your inventory and see that only two bullets left on the revolver, the grenade launcher forgotten in the Box and only two clips of the Beretta left. Seriosly, where is the Thirll? Where is the Survival? Give me a fucking Remake of the 2nd and 3rd RE with the graphics from RE6 and DON´t change the gameplay, and I´ll be happy.
    I´m out.
    Peace!

7. Johnny García
    January 30, 2013, 4:38 am

Im a big RES fan…and I loved RES2 a great game, though i did like RES 3 a very nice game too, imo…cuz Nemesis and Nikolai were great villains, and Jill Valentine and Carlos Olivera nice too, imo (though Jill had already appeared on RES 1 with Chris)…but RES 2 had Hunk, Leon, Claire, adn the appearance of Ada Wong, who is a very important character for the series imo…Code Veronica was also great…and the first time we saw the Redfield brothers together…and also the consolidation of Albert Wesker as the main villain, as well as the psycothic Ashford brothers, from whom Alexia is one of my fav from the saga…

I liked RES 4, 5 and 6 because of the villains (Krauzer, Wesker, Ustanak and Carla Radames), but i’d love to feel a survival horror experience..like in the past….like on RES 1, 2, and Code Veronica…though on RES 6 we remember RES 2 on the first Leon chapters…i like the idea of intelligent zombies like the ones we face with Chris and Jake (and i like them great characters, such as Leon and Ada, cuz they’re both the most related characters to Albert Wesker, who is one of my fav villains ever), but i wanna see some characters back such as Jill and Claire indeed, and wouldnt care to see Barry Burton, Carlos Olivera, or/ and Billy Coen again, preserving Leon, Ada, Chris, Jake and even Sherry, cuz shes William Birkin’s daughter from RES 2 and shes related to both Leon and Claire, and now Jake and even Chris…and once again…id love having a survival horror experience again…

By the way William Birkin and Mr X Tyrant are two memorable scary and powerful villains from the saga, as well as those lickers…and happy birthday RES 2!! :)

8. james bowerbank
    January 30, 2013, 9:55 am

easily my 2nd favourite in the series, what can I say i’m a dreamcast fan boy and code veronica will always be my favourite!! Resi 2 was so huge with the different scenarios you could play and the sutble switch towards more action a little less survival made the game that much more accessible. my crap your pants moment is still either the crows through the windows or the Licker jumping through the 1 way window!!

9. Gareth Wild
    January 30, 2013, 10:23 am

When we realised it was Resi2′s 15th birthday we made a video to honour Leon Kennedy. I guarantee* entertainment – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6zMTy4KIsc

*entertainment not guaranteed

10. Kins
    February 22, 2013, 8:22 am

For Me… The scariest of all RE games. The Police station with all its places, The Music from the Library, all the monsters, William Birkin .
    I was to scared to play it a second time with the other character first, I left it for my cousin, and I just watched

11. Tony Cummings
    March 22, 2013, 7:33 am

I would have to say Resident Evil is my favorite game series ever i have Played all but Rev. for the DS and 6 and Resident Evil The Dark side Chronicles which in my opinion is the fist one for the Wii was not that great i mean i know it had RE. zero 1’3 ada and all of the new ones on there it just didn’t feel like a good RE game and that hurts a bit to say cause i am a die hard Resident Evil fan lol

Comments are now closed on this post.